Friday, November 15, 2013

Beatriz Hartman > www.consolidatedcredit.org

Beatriz Hartman, Business Development and Community Engagement with Consolidated Credit

Being Hispanic…Does it have any influence on your business?
Absolutely! Being Hispanic has allowed me to reach far more people of many ethnicities.  The Hispanic population is so broad and diverse that being a Latina has helped me bring personal finance education and resources to people who may not otherwise received them - I’m proud of that.

In the face of adversity, how do you decide to keep going?
I always look at the positive aspect of any issue that I face. I try to look at challenges as something that will make me stronger, more resilient, bring new challenges and ideas/perspectives into my life. So I put up the fight and move on.

What is the biggest challenge you have faced?
I’m lucky; I don’t think I’ve had a challenge that has been difficult enough worth mentioning, but it was challenging to move to a new country by myself.   However, I had a clear goal in mind and I kept focusing on that goal so every time I felt homesick, I would think of my goal and the things I wanted to achieve.  I still miss not having my family near to me, but I have things that I need to achieve and goals to meet. 

In the professional arena, I have the challenge of constantly learning where individuals want to consume personal finances information and developing community outreach programs that connect to those audiences, regardless of their language preference. In 2013, for example, I was invited by Univision to be the expert on a series of Spanish TV interviews to discuss new credit card regulations to help Latino families understand personal finances so they can make the best decisions towards their financial health (check our YouTube channel to watch videos: www.youtube.com/ConsolidatedEspanol). We are always open to speak on TV and radio shows to educate the Hispanic community on personal finances.

If you could change one thing about your life, what would it be?
Nothing! I’m grateful for all I have.  I give thanks every day and just ask for more days to keep growing, learning and living new experiences.

What was your childhood ambition?
When I was a child I always dreamed of becoming a famous Broadway dancer. I remember watching them and I admired them! I love to dance maybe that’s why…

Tell us about three people that you admire?
My parents – I wouldn’t be where I am if I didn’t have their daily unconditional support, and guidance.  In a way I’m who I am today because of the love and the values that they taught me throughout my life.

Ellen DeGeneres – I’m an animal lover.  And I admire the fact that she not only is a great animal lover, but she also uses her fame to create awareness about animal rights.  She truly cares about animals.

The founder of Consolidated Credit, the company that I work for, Howard Dvorkin because he has helped hundreds of thousands of Latino families face and conquer devastating financial hardships and avoid personal bankruptcy. He also started the nonprofit organization at his kitchen table back in 1993 and today Consolidated Credit is one of the largest debt counseling and personal finance organizations in the country with sister companies in Canada and the United Kingdom. To date, Consolidated Credit has helped over 5 million in the past 20 years.  He is truly an inspiration by having a vision and passion to help people in financial distress and turning it into a large multinational organization.  

For meetings: breakfast, lunch, or dinner?
Healthy lunch J

What sacrifices on your personal life did you have to make in order to become a business success?
I left Colombia 16 years ago by myself to pursue my Master studies.  I was very young and decided to leave my parents, siblings and friends behind for my dreams.  It was hard at the beginning being in a new country because I had no friends and I didn’t know the city where my university was located very well.  I had to stay in a hotel for a month while I looked for an apartment that was close enough to school because at that time I didn’t have money to buy a car, but in the end the leap of faith was worth it!

What is your favorite quote?
“No dejes para mañana lo que puedes hacer hoy”

Is it difficult to be unconventional?
Ok if you are confident and believe in yourself.

Biggest mistake made?
I believe that mistakes always turn into opportunities to learn and to become better, so in a way, my mistakes have always taught me something that in turn has made me a better person and has made me the person who I am today.

Do you consider yourself an innovator? Why?
Yes, I believe that most Hispanics are innovators; culturally it is in us.  No matter where you come from, Hispanics are characteristically creative and always innovating because we are competitive and hungry for success.

About the Company:
Consolidated Credit (www.consolidatedcredit.org) is one of the nation's largest credit counseling and has helped over 5 million people over more than 20 years with financial issues. Their mission is to assist families throughout the United States in ending financial crisis and solving money management problems through education and professional counseling. Consolidated Credit also has a Spanish-language site (espanol.consolidatedcredit.org) for those of the Hispanic community that are Spanish-reliant or Spanish-preferred. 

No comments:

Popular Posts

New York Time

Copyright 2017 ©
Netvision SA and PlanetM
New York, New York, USA 10008
You can copy this content without permission but you must notify us via email.
Otherwise, it is illegal. All rights reserved worldwide
Updated by Carlos Vassallo

Pageviews last month